Τεύχος - Περιεχόμενα
Ἡ ἀναθηματικὴ ἐπιγραφὴ ΙG II2 2877 καὶ ἡ οἰκία τοῦ προξένου Giraud
E. S. Kroustalis, The dedicatory inscription IG II2 2877 and the house of Consul Giraud.
The subject of this article is the identification of the exact site where the inscribed base IG II2 2877 was seen by Jacob Spon (1676) who was its first editor. The base was dedicated in the late 1st c. B.C. by Theophilos son of Diodorus of Alaeae after he had completed his tenure as "curator of the Prytaneion" (ἐπιμελητὴς πρυτανείου). The find spot of this monument constitutes one of the few available archaeological clues for the location of the Athenian Prytaneion.
According to Spon’s testimony, the stone was located in close proximity with the house of the Consul Jean Giraud. Through the collection and examination of testimonies by Spon, George Wheler (1682) and Guillet de S. George (1675) this article reaches the conclusion that Giraud's house was situated near the church of St. Demetrius Catephoris which, before its demolition, was located at the intersection of modern Cyrrestou and Erechtheos streets, on the northeast slope of the Acropolis. It is thus suggested that 20 Tripodon st., where the stone was rediscovered in recent times, should either coincide or be very close to the point where Spon saw it in the 17th century.